It’s easy to eat vegan in and around Kalamazoo! Below are some of our favorite vegan restaurants. If you know of a business that should be included please email me. And when you frequent the below businesses, please tell them Vegan Kalamazoo sent you! – Hillary
- Arcadia Ales. (701 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-276-0458). Brewery and restaurant with several vegan options including a vegan (jackfruit) pulled pork sandwich and a farmhouse sandwich. More info.
- Central City Tap House. (359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-492-0100). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including vegan jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Centre Street Tap House. (3251 Centre St, Portage; 269-492-3500). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Old Dog Tavern. (402 E. Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-381-5677). Restaurant, bar, and venue featuring their new vegan chef, Denise Miller. Vegan diablo pizza & BBQ vegan short ‘ribs’ always available, in addition to weekend and brunch specials. More info.
- One Well Brewing. (4213 Portage Street, Kalamazoo; 269-459-9240). Family-friendly brewpub featuring many vegan options including pizza with vegan cheese. More info.
- Shakespeare’s Pub. (241 East Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-488-7782). Features several Ope‘s items. More info.
- Sprinkle Road Tap House. (5003 Park Circle Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-775-1390). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Texas Corners Brewing Company. (6970 Texas Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-870-7724). Craft beer, ciders, and most importantly, vegan pizza! Vegetarian options indicated on menu; be sure to ask to veganize your options. More info.
Breakfast Places (some also serve other meals)
- Anna’s House. (4700 Stadium Dr., Kalamazoo; 866-672-6627). Local breakfast restaurant chain with several vegan options. More info.
- Cosmo’s Cucina. (804 W. Vine St., Kalamazoo; 269-344-5666). Cozy bistro open for breakfast on the weekends. Some plates can be altered to be vegan (oatmeal made with water, potatoes w/o cheese, toast). More info.
- Crow’s Nest. (816 S Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-978-0490). Eclectic bistro menu; lots of vegan options for all three meals. More info.
- Station 702. (702 Douglas Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-350-3599). Fast casual restaurant offering a full vegan menu. Options include a vegan burrito, has, tofu scramble, tacos, and a salad. More info.
- Studio Grill. (312 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-341-4100). Breakfast and lunch restaurant featuring vegan chili and other options. More info.
Coffee (Note: most coffee shops, including all the major chains, now offer nondairy milk options, so below we feature only those local coffee shops that offer vegan foods.)
- Black Owl Cafe. (414 Walbridge St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-1334). Cafe with local coffee from Kalamazoo Coffee Company, non-dairy milk alternatives for drinks, and features vegan brunch options on the weekend. More info.
- Civil House Coffee. (344 N. Rose St., Kalamzoo; 269-459-1404). Cozy cafe downtown that offers oat and macadamia milks. More info.
- Coexist Cafe. (2901 Howard St., Kalamazoo; 269-312-8899). Coffee shop/cafe with a rotating vegan selection on the menu. More info.
- Fourth Coast Cafe. (816 S Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo; 269-383-0202). Coffee house with vegan muffins, brownies, etc. Open 24 hours. More info.
- Walnut & Park. (322 W. Walnut St., Kalamazoo; 269-903-0578). Sometimes offers vegan muffins, burritos, scones, bars, and other options. Weekdays only, breakfast and lunch. More info.
- Water Street Coffee Joint (Several locations). Local chain offering nondairy milks and excellent vegan pastries and breakfast burritos.
Deli / Snack / Sandwich
- Artisan Sandwich Co. (348 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-220-5665). Downtown sandwich shop offering a veggie sandwich — just order without cheese, on sourdough. More info.
- Irving’s Market. (125 S Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-344-4787). Strong selection of vegan sandwiches, paninis, and deli food (e.g., kung pao tofu), as well as nondairy beverage options. Disappointingly, however, not all the tofu dishes are vegan: be sure to ask if yours is. More info.
- Juicy Leaf. (316 S. Kalamazoo Mall; 269-547-7741). Juice bar featuring locally-sourced ingredients. More info.
Dessert / Ice Cream / Yogurt
- Cherri’s Chocol’Art (245 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-998-7339). Chocolate shop downtown with several vegan options, including dark chocolate peanut clusters, dark chocolate covered oreos, and dark chocolate haystacks. More info.
- Confections with Convictions. (116 W. Crosstown Pkwy. Ste. 101, Kalamazoo; 269-381-9700). Fair trade organic chocolate shop with a specialty in making hand crafted truffles — including vegan ones! More info.
- Let’s Swirl. (5021 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-903-2662). Local FroYo shop with two rotating vegan sorbets. More info.
- Via Gelato. (8340 Portage Rd., Portage; 269-459-6745). Homemade Gelato with Vegan and dairy free options. More info.
- The Yogurt Co. (6118 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-327-4008). Local frozen yogurt shop that offers vegan soft serve! More info.
- Y’opa. (165 W. Centre Ave., Portage; 269-366-4877). Another local frozen yogurt shop offering vegan soft serve! More info.
- Sawall Deli. (2965 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-343-3619). The deli offers Amorino gelato in several vegan flavors. More info.
- Bab El Salam (129 W Centre Ave, Portage Center Plaza, Portage; (269) 775-1330). Middle eastern food, with many vegan options, and a vegan-friendly and knowledgeable owner. More info.
- Bangkok Flavor (5455 Gull Road, Kalamazoo; (269) 226-9341). Spicy Thai food, and restaurant will replace fish sauce with a vegan soy/mushroom sauce on request. More info.
- Big Burrito. (5036 W. KL Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-372-2442). Great veggie and grilled-veggie burritos. More info.
- Bulgogi Box. (1844 S. Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo; 269-382-6515). New authentic Korean restaurant with several vegan options (ask for tofu as your protein), or try the bibimbap without egg! More info.
- The Blue Dolphin. (502 S. Burdick, Kalamazoo; 269-343-4993). Greek/American fare with several vegan appetizer options, a veggie burger, and pizza that can be ordered without cheese. More info.
- Casa Bolero. (116 Portage St., Kalamazoo; 269-382-3148). Latin-Caribbean small plates restaurant and tequila bar with several vegan options. More Info.
- Chau Haus Schnitzel Station. (224 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-532-5245). German restaurant offering vegan options including paczies, barley burgers, mushroom schnitzel, the vegestopheles sub, and a vegan soup every day. Every Thursday and Friday, they have vegan cabbage rolls, pierogi’s, and kapusta! More info.
- Chuancai Fang Sichuan Restaurant. (324 N Drake Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-903-2138). Authentic spicy Chinese food with many vegan options such as salt and pepper tofu and crispy eggplant. More info.
- Curry in a Hurry. (6541 Stadium Dr., Portage). Food truck with vegetarian & vegan curry options. Most frequently found on Stadium Drive, but makes other appearances — check their Facebook! More info.
- Cumin Indian Cuisine. (3321 Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo; 269-372-6900). Indian buffet restaurant with some vegan options on the buffet, and plenty of vegan options on the menu. More info.
- Fresh Coast Tacos.(1903 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo). Asian-Latin fusion fare with tacos, burritos, and bowls. Many vegan options. More Info.
- Hillside Indian Cuisine. (600 Romence Rd., Portage; 269-324-4886). South Indian / Hyderabadi cuisine featuring all-fresh ingredients and a large vegan menu. More info.
- Hunan Garden. (5059 West Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-373-1188). Chinese restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
- Kumo Hibachi, Sushi & Japanese Restaurant. (6396 S. Westnedge Avenue, Portage; 269-321-8870). Some great vegan selections; makes their own (excellent) tofu. More info.
- Maru Sushi and Grill. (427 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo) Popular Michigan chain offering many vegan options including some fancy vegan sushi rolls. More info.
- Mi Pueblito. (3420 Gull Rd, Kalamazoo; 269-349-2469) Authentic Mexican food; beans and rice are both vegan. More info.
- Pancheros. (6160 S. Westnedge Ave, Portage; 269-323-0070). Rice and bean burritos with or without veggies. Tortilla shells and guacamole made fresh on location. More info.
- Pho On The Block. (1301 Portage St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-9998). Vietnamese cuisine including tofu bahn mi and vegan pho. More info.
- The Pita Pit. (2913 Howard St., Kalamazoo; 269-343-7482). Hummus and falafel pitas available with veggies and a vegan sauce. More info.
- Rasa Ria. (1921 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-381-0788). Indonesian & Malaysian restaurant with a vegan-friendly owner and several options. More info.
- Saffron. (1710 West Main Street., Kalamazoo; 269-381-9898). Indian restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
- Shawarma Buffet. (2925 S Westnedge Ave, Kalamazoo; 269-226-9700). Middle eastern buffet with many vegan options. More info.
- Shawarma King. (1441 S Drake Rd, Kalamazoo; 269-375-3900). Middle Eastern restaurant with many vegan dishes. Wednesday is vegetarian day and everything vegetarian is 15% off. Note: the lentil soup is not vegan except on Wednesdays (even then, ask before ordering). More info.
- Spice and Rice. (525 Burrows Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-381-8618). Chinese take-out restaurant with several tofu options and veggie lo mein (order without egg!). More info.
- A Thai Cafe. (7089 S Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-323-3099). Thai cuisine that can be made vegan by asking to substitute the fish sauce. Many dishes can be made with tofu and asking for no egg! More info.
- Wild Ginger. (639 Romence Road, Portage; 269-459-8502). Asian Cuisine with many tofu options. More info.
- Ziingo Urban Asian. (3830 W Centre Ave, Portage; 269-459-1090). Asian fusion take-out, most dishes available with either tofu or veggies in place of meat. *Note: On days when they offer pork meatballs, the tofu is cooked in with the meatballs. More info.
- Zooroona. (1710 West Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-382-4444). Middle Eastern restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
Quick Serve / Fast Food
- Blaze Pizza. (5015 West Main St., Oshtemo; 269-254-8081). Large selection of pizzas with vegan cheese and over 15 veggie toppings. More info.
- Chipotle. (5363 W Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-382-7011). Sofritas made from shredded, spiced tofu, plus salsa, guacamole, and other vegan Mexican sides. More info.
- CoreLife Eatery. (6300 S Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-324-0995). A healthy eating restaurant featuring many vegan options including grain bowls, broth bowls, and more. More info.
- J. Gumbo’s. (3205 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-254-8122). Cajun and Creole chain that offers several vegan options. More info.
- Moe’s Southwest Grill. (4206 Stadium Drive, Kalamazoo; 269-544-7000 AND 6225 Westnedge Avenue, Portage; 269-459-1555). Burritos and other entrees can be made with organic tofu, plus guacamole, salsa, and other vegan Mexican sides. More info.
- Nonla Burger. (2103 S. Burdick St., Kalamazoo; 269-443-2270). Offers the Beyond Burger in a fast-food tasting way — comes with cheese, so just ask to get it veganized! More info.
- Noodles and Company. (5363 W Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-382-4100 AND 6150 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-324-1111). Several vegan dishes available. Ask staff for a list of ingredients. More info.
- Red Robin. (5710 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-552-4237). Burger chain offering vegan burger and a few other vegan options. More info.
- Salut Market. (3112 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-343-2620). Wine, beer, and spirits store with a tasting room that has a vegan sandwich option. More info.
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe. (4315 W. Main Street, Kalamazoo; 269-382-4044 AND 230 W. Milham Ave., Portage; 269-532-1802). Great smoothies plus sandwiches and wraps featuring Beyond Meat faux chicken. More info.
Other / Occasion Dining
- 600 Kitchen & Bar. (600 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-443-2401). Restaurant/tavern with farm-to-table eatery and seasonal dishes. Vegan dishes are indicated on the menu! More info.
- Cosmo’s Cucina. (804 W. Vine St., Kalamazoo; 269-344-5666). Cozy bistro with multiple options that can be veganized for dinner, including squash, pasta, pizza without cheese, and salads. Very friendly, just ask when you’re there! More info.
- Cove Lakeside Bistro. (9110 Portage Rd., Portage; 269-350-5380). Lakeside eatery overlooking West Lake in Portage with a few vegan menu options. Vegan menu options are marked. More info.
- Feed The World Cafe. (7000 Stadium Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-353-6620). Restaurant with unique food and local ingredients. Several well marked vegan options. More info.
- Fieldstone Grill. (3970 West Centre Ave., Portage; 269-321-8480). Neighborhood restaurant featuring several vegan entrees. More Info.
- Principle Food & Drink. (230 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-743-6563). Farm fresh ingredients in an attractive space downtown. Features vegetarian and vegan options on the menu (indicated); we recommend the vegan salisbury steak! More info.
- Sawall Cafe 36. (2965 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-343-3619). Upscale dining with several vegan options. More info.
- The Union. (125 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-384-6756). Several vegan menu options such as tofu burger and a southern plate with peppered tofu. Live music every Thursday – Sunday. More info.
On the Road
- Chinn Chinn. (52885 N. Main St., Mattawan; 269-668-7667). Modern Asian bistro with lots of vegan options. More info.
- The Front Porch. (55 E. Battle Creek St., Galesburg). New restaurant offering Opes’ sandwiches and gluten-free cookies. More info.
- Great China. (218 E. Michigan Ave., Paw Paw; 269-415-0803). Most items on the menu can be ordered with tofu instead of meat. They also have a dedicated vegetarian menu available upon request. More info.
- Maude’s Taphouse. (117 E Allegan St., Ostego; 269-692-3377). Tavern style restaurant with vegan options and meals that can be modified, including wraps, burgers, and bar food. More info.
- Nonla Vietnamese Street Food. (24050 Front Ave., Mattawan; 269-668-7938) Outstanding Vietnamese inspired street food including pho, roasted tofu banh mi, and vermicelli salad. Tiny place, no reservations: be prepared to wait. More info.
- Silver Beach Pizza. (410 Vine Street, St. Joseph, 269-983-4743). Silver Beach Pizza offers Daiya vegan cheese with pizza. More info.
- Souls Ground Cafe. (234 Territorial Rd., Benton Harbor; 269-605-3977). An all-vegan cafe featuring sonic shots, smoothies, sandwiches, soups, and more! More info.
- The Sugar Bear. (101 W. Michigan Avenue, Paw Paw; 269-657-4841). The Sugar Bear has vegan burgers, quesadillas, ice cream, and other fun foods. More info.
- Walt & Marie’s. (44947 W Red Arrow Hwy, Paw Paw; 269-657-7570). Offers the Beyond Burger and the Impossible Burger! Other options include vegan pizza with or without Follow Your Heart cheese (available upon request, even though it’s not on the menu!), wraps, salads, and two vegan pesto sauces. Knowledgeable vegan staff and vegan owners. More info.
- For Grand Rapids vegan restaurants, click here.