-It’s easy to eat vegan in and around Kalamazoo! Below are some of our favorite vegan restaurants, with those offering exceptional vegan offerings highlighted in green. If you know of a business that should be included please email me. And when you frequent the below businesses, please tell them Vegan Kalamazoo sent you! – Hillary
- Bell’s Brewery. (355 E. Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-382-2332). Local bar/restaurant with tempeh reubens & Vietnamese spring rolls. More info.
- Central City Tap House. (359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-492-0100). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including vegan jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Centre Street Tap House. (3251 Centre St., Portage; 269-492-3500). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Hopcat. (300 E. Water St., Kalamazoo; 269-210-0075). Famous craft beer chain, now offering the Impossible Burger with a pretzel bun and vegan jalapeno mayo. More info.
- Old Dog Tavern. (402 E. Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-381-5677). Local bar/restaurant with weekly music shows. Offers Impossible Burger. More info.
- One Well Brewing. (4213 Portage St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-9240). Family-friendly brewpub featuring many vegan options including pizza with vegan cheese. More info.
- The Sangria Shop. (5919 S. Sprinkle Rd., Portage; 269-330-5841). Family owned shop with authentic artisanal artisan sangria, wines, and spirits. Features a vegan peaches and apricots wine. More info.
- Shakespeare’s Pub. (241 E. Kalamazoo Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-488-7782). Features several Ope‘s items. More info.
- Sprinkle Road Tap House. (5003 Park Circle Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-775-1390). Local bar/restaurant with three locations. Several vegan options including jackfruit tacos. More info.
- Texas Corners Brewing Company. (6970 Texas Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-870-7724). Craft beer, ciders, and most importantly, vegan pizza! Vegetarian options indicated on menu; be sure to ask to veganize your options. More info.
Breakfast Places (some also serve other meals)
- Anna’s House. (4700 Stadium Dr., Kalamazoo; 866-672-6627). Local breakfast restaurant chain with several vegan options. More info.
- Cosmo’s Cucina. (804 W. Vine St., Kalamazoo; 269-344-5666). Cozy bistro open for breakfast on the weekends. Some plates can be altered to be vegan (oatmeal made with water, potatoes w/o cheese, toast). More info.
- Crow’s Nest. (816 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-978-0490). Eclectic bistro menu; lots of vegan options for all three meals. More info.
- Station 702. (702 Douglas Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-350-3599). Fast casual restaurant offering a full vegan menu. Options include a vegan burrito, hash browns, tofu scramble, tacos, and a salad. More info.
- Studio Grill. (312 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-341-4100). Breakfast and lunch restaurant featuring vegan chili and other options. Note: we’ve heard reports that buns and other ingredients may not be vegan. Exercise caution. More info.
Coffee (Note: most coffee shops, including all the major chains, now offer nondairy milk options, so below we feature only those local coffee shops that offer vegan foods.)
- Black Owl Cafe. (414 Walbridge St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-1334). Cafe with local coffee from Kalamazoo Coffee Company, non-dairy milk alternatives for drinks, and features vegan brunch options on the weekend. More info.
- Civil House Coffee. (344 N. Rose St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-1404). Cozy cafe downtown that offers oat and macadamia milks. More info.
- Rose Gold Coffee Company. (220 W. Michigan Ave.) Coffee shop with housemade vegan syrups and oat milk. All baked goods are vegan. More info.
- Fourth Coast Cafe. (816 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-383-0202). Coffee house with vegan muffins, brownies, etc. Open 24 hours. More info.
- Something’s Brewing. (120 W. South St., Kalamazoo; 269-349-1295). Downtown cafe featuring macadamia milk. More info.
- Walnut & Park. (322 W. Walnut St., Kalamazoo; 269-903-0578). Sometimes offers vegan muffins, burritos, scones, bars, and other options. Weekdays only, breakfast and lunch. More info.
- Water Street Coffee Joint (Several locations). Local chain offering nondairy milks and excellent vegan pastries and breakfast burritos.
Deli / Snack / Sandwich
- Artisan Sandwich Co. (348 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-220-5665). Downtown sandwich shop offering a veggie sandwich — just order without cheese, on sourdough. More info.
Dessert / Ice Cream / Yogurt
- Cherri’s Chocol’Art (245 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-998-7339). Chocolate shop downtown with several vegan options, including dark chocolate peanut clusters, dark chocolate covered oreos, and dark chocolate haystacks. More info.
- Confections with Convictions. (116 W. Crosstown Pkwy. Ste. 101, Kalamazoo; 269-381-9700). Fair trade organic chocolate shop specializing in hand crafted truffles — including vegan ones! More info.
- Frosty Boy. (5030 Gull Road, Kalamazoo;
- Let’s Swirl. (5021 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-903-2662). Local FroYo shop with two rotating vegan sorbets. More info.
- Peachwave. (5907 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-903-2325). Local Froyo shop with self-serve and rotating vegan flavors (up to three at any time)!. Also features Arbonne vegan protein for smoothies. More info.
- Sawall Deli. (2965 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-343-3619). The deli offers Amorino gelato in several vegan flavors. More info.
- Via Gelato. (8340 Portage Rd., Portage; 269-459-6745). Homemade Gelato with Vegan and dairy free options. More info.
- Y’opa. (165 W. Centre Ave., Portage; 269-366-4877). Another local frozen yogurt shop offering vegan soft serve! More info.
Lunch / Dinner Restaurants (also see Occasion Dining, below)
- Bab El Salam (129 W. Centre Ave., Portage Center Plaza, Portage; (269) 775-1330). Middle eastern food, with many vegan options, and a vegan-friendly and knowledgeable owner. More info.
- Bangkok Flavor (5455 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo; ). Spicy Thai food, and restaurant will replace fish sauce with a vegan soy/mushroom sauce on request. Will NOT make vegan curries. More info.
- Big Burrito. (5036 W. KL Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-372-2442). Great veggie and grilled-veggie burritos. More info.
- The Blue Dolphin. (502 S. Burdick St., Kalamazoo; 269-343-4993). Greek/American fare with several vegan appetizer options, a veggie burger, and pizza that can be ordered without cheese. More info.
- Chau Haus Schnitzel Station. (7000 Stadium Dr., Kalamazoo). German restaurant offering vegan options including paczies, barley burgers, mushroom schnitzel, the vegestopheles sub, and a vegan soup every day. More info.
- Chuancai Fang Sichuan Restaurant. (324 N. Drake Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-903-2138). Authentic spicy Chinese food with many vegan options such as salt and pepper tofu and crispy eggplant. More info.
- Curry in a Hurry. (6541 Stadium Dr., Oshtemo). Food truck with vegetarian & vegan curry options. More info.
- Cumin Indian Cuisine. (3321 Stadium Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-372-6900). Indian buffet restaurant with some vegan options on the buffet, and plenty of vegan options on the menu. More info.
- Hunan Garden. (5059 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-373-1188). Chinese restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
- Kumo Hibachi, Sushi & Japanese Restaurant. (6396 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-321-8870). Some vegan selections; makes their own tofu. More info.
- Maru Sushi and Grill. (427 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo). Popular Michigan chain offering many vegan options including some fancy vegan sushi rolls. More info.
- Mi Pueblito. (3420 Gull Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-349-2469). Authentic Mexican food; beans and rice are both vegan. More info.
- Nonla Burger. (2103 S. Burdick St., Kalamazoo; 269-443-2270). Offers the Beyond Burger in a fast-food tasting way — comes with cheese, so just ask to get it veganized! More info.
- Pho On The Block. (1301 Portage St., Kalamazoo; 269-459-9998). Vietnamese cuisine including tofu bahn mi and vegan pho. More info.
- The Pita Pit. (2913 Howard St., Kalamazoo; 269-343-7482). Hummus and falafel pitas available with veggies and a vegan sauce. More info.
- Rasa Ria. (1921 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-381-0788). Malaysian restaurant with a couple of vegan options. More info.
- Saffron. (1710 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-381-9898). Indian restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
- Shawarma Buffet. (2925 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-226-9700). Middle eastern buffet with many vegan options. More info.
- Shawarma King. (1441 S. Drake Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-375-3900). Middle Eastern restaurant with many vegan dishes. Wednesday is vegetarian day and everything vegetarian is 15% off. Note: the lentil soup is not vegan except on Wednesdays (even then, ask before ordering). More info.
- Spice and Rice. (525 Burrows Rd., Kalamazoo; 269-381-8618). Chinese take-out restaurant with several tofu options and veggie lo mein (order without egg!). More info.
- Salut Market. (3112 S. Westnedge Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-343-2620). Wine, beer, and spirits store with a tasting room that has a vegan sandwich option. More info.
- Taco Bob’s. (300 Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo, and other locations.) Local Mexican food chain that offers vegan beans and rice in all dishes. More info.
- A Thai Cafe. (7089 S. Westnedge Ave., Portage; 269-323-3099). Thai cuisine that can be made vegan by asking to substitute the fish sauce. Many dishes can be made with tofu and asking for no egg! More info.
- Theo & Stacy’s. (234 W. Michigan Ave. AND 4311 S. Westnedge Ave.,; 269-388-5025). Greek restaurant featuring the Impossible Burger. First Friday of most months downtown location only does a vegan night with a big menu featuring faves like moussaka, saganaki, and more. More info.
- Wild Ginger. (639 Romence Rd., Portage; 269-459-8502). Asian Cuisine with many tofu options. More info.
- Valley Dining Center. (1903 W Michigan Ave. on the WMU campus; 269-387-4844). Burgers, tacos, and other cafeteria foods. No local parking. More info.
- Ziingo Urban Asian. (3830 W. Centre Ave., Portage; 269-459-1090). Asian fusion take-out, most dishes available with either tofu or veggies in place of meat. *Note: On days when they offer pork meatballs, the tofu is cooked in with the meatballs. More info.
- Zooroona. (1710 W. Main St., Kalamazoo; 269-382-4444). Middle Eastern restaurant with many vegan dishes. More info.
- Erbelli’s. (2 locations: Portage Road and Stadium Drive). Now offering vegan cheese for pizzas. Be sure to also ask for vegan sauce and crust. More info.
- Sawall Cafe 36. (2965 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-343-3619). Several excellent vegan options. More info.
- Blaze Pizza. (5015 W. Main St., Oshtemo; 269-254-8081). Large selection of pizzas with vegan cheese and over 15 veggie toppings. More info.
- MOD Pizza. (5097 Century Ave. Ste. D, Kalamazoo; 269-216-7680) Build-your-own pizza with Daiya cheese option. More info.
- BC Pizza. (1710 W. Main St. Kalamazoo; 269-532-1688) The regular crust is vegan if you ask for no butter. They also have a cauliflower crust (GF) and Daiya shredded mozzarella cheeze. More info
- Pizza Katerina. (635 N 9th St Suite E, Kalamazoo MI 49009; 269-775-1722) Sauce and crust are vegan. They also offer vegan mozzarella made by Violife. More info.
Quick Serve / Fast Food
- Many QS/FF restaurants now serve vegan foods, including: Burger King, Chipotle, CoreLife Eatery, Moe’s Southwest Grill, Olive Garden, Red Robin, Taco Bell, and Tropical Smoothie Cafe.
- 600 Kitchen & Bar. (600 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-443-2401). Restaurant/tavern with farm-to-table eatery and seasonal dishes. Vegan dishes are indicated on the menu! More info.
- Cosmo’s Cucina. (804 W. Vine St., Kalamazoo; 269-344-5666). Cozy bistro with multiple options that can be veganized for dinner, including squash, pasta, pizza without cheese, and salads. Very friendly, just ask when you’re there! More info.
- Cove Lakeside Bistro. (9110 Portage Rd., Portage; 269-350-5380). Lakeside eatery overlooking West Lake in Portage with a few vegan menu options. Vegan menu options are marked. More info.
- Fieldstone Grill. (3970 W. Centre Ave., Portage; 269-321-8480). Neighborhood restaurant featuring several vegan entrees. More Info.
- Fuze Kitchen & Bar. (214 E. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-220-5511). Open kitchen & bar with a seasonal menu. All vegetarian and vegan dishes clearly labeled on menu. More info.
- Principle Food & Drink. (230 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Kalamazoo; 269-743-6563). Farm fresh ingredients in an attractive space downtown. More info.
- Sawall Cafe 36. (2965 Oakland Dr., Kalamazoo; 269-343-3619). Several excellent vegan options. More info.
- Zazios. (Radisson Plaza Hotel, 1st Floor, 100 W. Michigan Ave., Kalamazoo; 269-384-2650). Features innovative vegan menu.
On the Road
- Neds on Gull Lake(15450 M-43, Hickory Corners; 269-671-5700). Several vegan options on their regular menu; excellent lake view and patio dining. More info.
- Chinn Chinn. (52885 N. Main St., Mattawan; 269-668-7667). Modern Asian bistro with lots of vegan options. More info.
- The Front Porch. (55 E. Battle Creek St., Galesburg). New restaurant offering Opes’ sandwiches and gluten-free cookies. More info.
- Great China. (218 E. Michigan Ave., Paw Paw; 269-415-0803). Most items on the menu can be ordered with tofu instead of meat. They also have a dedicated vegetarian menu available upon request. More info.
- Maude’s Taphouse. (117 E Allegan St., Ostego; 269-692-3377). Impossible Burgers plus vegan fried portabellas and vegan onion rings. More info.
- Nonla Vietnamese Street Food. (24050 Front Ave., Mattawan; 269-668-7938) Outstanding Vietnamese inspired street food including pho, roasted tofu banh mi, and vermicelli salad. Tiny place, no reservations: be prepared to wait. More info.
- Silver Beach Pizza. (410 Vine St., St. Joseph, 269-983-4743). Silver Beach Pizza offers Daiya vegan cheese with pizza. More info.
- Souls Ground Cafe. (234 Territorial Rd., Benton Harbor; 269-605-3977). An all-vegan cafe featuring sonic shots, smoothies, sandwiches, soups, and more! More info.
- Sugar Bear. (101 W. Michigan Ave., Paw Paw; 269-657-4841). Sugar Bear offers several vegan ice creams. More info.
- TākokāT. (237 E. Michigan Ave., Paw Paw; 269-415-0099) Unique taco place with one-of-a-kind creations. Jackfruit, vegan cheese, and other vegetarian and vegan options galore! More info.
- Walt & Marie’s. (44947 W. Red Arrow Hwy., Paw Paw; 269-657-7570). Offers the Beyond Burger and the Impossible Burger, plus vegan pizza with Follow Your Heart cheese (not on the menu, but ask!), wraps, salads, and two vegan pesto sauces. Knowledgeable vegan staff and vegan owners. More info.
- Water and Wheat Cafe. (6218 M 63 N, Coloma; 269-468-9088). All vegan cafe! Brunch, sandwiches, sweets, they’ve got it all. Call before driving out. More info.
- For Grand Rapids vegan restaurants, click here.